History


LINKS was founded around a kitchen table at the home of Charlotte Masters Taylor, in 1970.  At the time, there was a shortage of teachers and community members and parents wanted to help the teachers in any way possible.  After getting the blessing of the superintendent, the principals, and many teachers LINKS (Laymen In North Kingstown Schools) was born.  The mission of the organization was to enhance the education of the students in the North Kingstown Public schools through the use of volunteers.  The mission remains the same today.  LINKS remains a teacher and administration driven organization responding to the needs presented through the use of volunteers.  The organization has grown from about 250 volunteers to over 1000 volunteers infused in all eight of the North Kingstown Public schools.

Back to NKSD